ImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.org

Monday, January 12, 2015

New Year's Day luck







New Year's Day is always a time of tradition in our house.  My Momma is from deep south Alabama, where you don't break tradition, no matter what.  She's been following the same Southern traditions for years.

The most important tradition for the New Year is eating Black-eyed Peas.  You have to eat them for good luck in the coming year.  It's also a tradition to eat greens for wealth.  Believe me, we eat the greens because we could always use a little more wealth! Ha!

I was so proud of myself after cooking our Christmas ham, I took the bone with some good chunks of meat left on it and froze it wrapped in tin foil.  I use three or four layers of tin foil just to make sure the ham doesn't get freezer burn. 

I started the ham cooking in two tablespoons of olive oil.  It's best to get some color on the meat, bringing out all the flavor.



It doesn't look very appetizing coming out of the freezer.




 
Put your dried and soaked black-eyed peas in a pot with just enough water to cover the peas.  Add one onion, rough chopped and let the ham and peas cook until the peas are soft.  You'll have to add water occasionally as the peas soak it up quite a bit. 
 





No comments: