ImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.org

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Poor, Poor Puppy

Last night Small Fry was sitting on the floor loving on his dog Allie when he yelled to me in the kitchen,  "Mom, Allie's bleeding on her ear!"

I went into the living room to look at her and she had scratched a place on her ear that felt like a fluid filled cyst.  When I felt it, she sort of winced and moved her head.  I didn't like how it looked so I made her an appointment with our vet for this afternoon at one. 

When the vet looked at it, he said he thought it was a hematoma, or a blood clot.  He tried to drain it with a needle but said it was already clotted and he'd need to remove it.  I kept it together but was really nervous because I'm always scared for the vet to put her to sleep for anything.

He told me the surgery would only be about 15 minutes and to come back to get her around 3pm.  I waited until the boys got home and went to pick her up with their help.

When the vet walked her into the room, she looked so sad.  He said he thought she was a little depressed because of the cone.  She was confused and didn't want to walk so he carried her to the car.  He told us she actually had a little mass with the blood clot so he needed to cut a bigger piece of the cartilage out,  but it was stitched up and should grow back together.  Ugh. Yuck.

We got home about an hour ago and she's finally starting to perk up a little but keeps trying to scrape the cone off with her paw.  She just looks and acts so pitiful it breaks my heart.  Her ear is sticking straight up because it's wrapped with gauze...it's pretty silly looking!

I hope she heals up quickly.  She's our little baby and we don't like it when she's not herself.



Her poor ear wrapped in green gauze
Laying on the pallet I made her
Poor pitiful me!

No comments: