ImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.org

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

We had a low key New Year this year.  I hadn't been feeling that hot so we just hung around the house and watched football, which is my favorite activity anyway.

I've never been a huge New Year fan. I've always thought it was sad.  An ending.  After New Years Eve, you take down all the pretty Christmas decorations. Boo.

New Year's Day, we went to the assisted living and picked up Mom so she could eat Black-Eyed Peas and Cabbage with us. 

 
Black-Eyed Peas are so easy.  All you need are a bag of dried black-eyed peas that you soak overnight and remove the impurities. Cubed ham, an onion, chopped into rough dice, seasoning salt, a little Slap Ya Mama seasoning, and Cavender's Greek seasoning.  I start with little seasoning and then when the peas are almost done, add to our taste.

I always cook the ham in olive oil first, then add the onions and sauté those as well.



 
Our New Year's good luck feast - sautéed cabbage for wealth, white rice, black-eyed peas for good luck and good ol' Southern cornbread

No comments: