ImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.org

Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Tough Decision in a Bad Economy

I just read on Kellyskornerblog.com that Kelly has decided to stay home with sweet little Harper. I knew she would. It seems so much harder to leave a child at a daycare and go back to work after having a sick newborn. I know because it happened to me. My son Tyler suffered a birth injury during the birthing process and has Erb's Palsy or what is known as Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy. In other words, his right arm and shoulder were completely paralyzed from an injury during birth. The injury has since recovered in a way that gives my son about 85% movement in his arm (thanks to a prayer chain but that's for another post). The moment I was told by the doctors that he was injured was one of the single most terrifying seconds of my life. I always felt like I was robbed of the innocence of giving birth for the first time. Instead of bringing the baby home to excited relatives and friends, we were immediately sent to a physical therapy appointment. I can still remember the ride home from the first therapy appointment, I thought I would die from guilt, sadness, shock, you name it, I was feeling it. The thought of going back to work was horrifying to me. I just wanted to spend time with my baby. A new mother feels protective even in the most wonderful birth experiences. When the birth experience takes a turn into something traumatic, the mother lion instinct kicks in. You want nothing more than to spend every second guarding your child so that nothing else can happen.

I've wondered about Kelly's situation and knowing how much she wanted that baby and how truly excited she was for her birth, I knew she would never be able to go back to work. I think she will make a wonderful, loving, caring mother. I'm so excited for her and in all honesty, I'm secretly jealous. Not in a bad way, but just wish my circumstances were a little different and I could stay home with my boys.

2 comments:

It's Good to be the Queen! said...

true, true true!!

Claire said...

Good points, well made. Lovely blog!

Cxx